Friday, August 24, 2007

The Lydian Lion and Temptation's Price


A while back I was doing some research about coins and I came across an interesting article entitled "A Case for the World's First Coin: The Lydian Lion." Now I don't know about you, but just the name of the coin yelled SHAPESHIFTER!! to me. The more I read about the coin and its fascinating history, the more intrigued I became.

The Lydian Lion, according to this article, preceded ancient Greek coinage which is apparently the basis for all Western coinage. It is thought that these coins were first used by the government and were minted in electrum, an alloy of gold and silver. This first coinage wasn't used in the same manner that currency is used in transactions today, and in fact, may very well have been used for strictly government/official business and controlled by the ruling body, possibly offered as gifts in treaty ceremonies, wedding presents, etc.

So I see wedding presents, and I think "bride price." Oh, but it has ended up being so much more than that...after all, my coin, is a MAGICAL coin.

Bits and pieces from the history revealed in this article is what led to my creation of the myth surround The Midas Bride. It really is exciting to research--one of my favorite parts of story writing. And then I love twisting it around and reshaping, and embellishing, and...


So, guess what? This weekend the Temptation's Price AmberPax is scheduled for release. I'm pretty excited about it. We've created a new video trailer for this collection and you can view it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQX4qmcX2Q

I so enjoyed writing "The Midas Bride" and creating its underlying mythical basis which involves King Croesus and King Midas. I'm pleased that I came across that article and which has led to my story and just sort of took off from there with a "what if." It's a bit of an erotic shapeshifting fairytale involving a magical coin (not exactly THE coin). Watch for another of my Midian white lion shapeshifters in an upcoming story.

Enjoy your weekend!

Adrianna

No comments: